Services Offered by Ann
For the pregnant family:
- Private Doula Services: I can provide professional doula (labor support) services. Contact me for availability.
- Lamaze Classes: I can also provide private classes in your home or mine or refer you to an excellent confidence-building class that will help you learn to advocate for yourselves.
- Birth Consulting: Private birth consultation available for women and families planning a pregnancy or during pregnancy to provide information to enable them choose a provider and birth setting that is best for their personal philosophy of birth.
For the birth professional:
- DONA International-Approved Birth Doula Workshops: Check schedule of programs page for scheduled workshops or contact me to have a workshop in your area.
- Advanced Doula Trainings: Check schedule of programs page for scheduled trainings or contact me to have an Advanced Doula Training in your area.
- Lamaze Teacher Training Seminars: These are done through Passion for Birth Lamaze Education Program. Contact me for more information.
- Childbirth Educator Update Days: This offering is for childbirth educators with some experience and would like new ideas, teaching techniques, and inspiration.
- Physical Comfort Measures and Non-Pharmacological Pain Relief: This is an offering for labor and delivery nurses, doulas, childbirth educators, midwives and others who work with birthing women.
- Presentations at State and National Conferences: I have presented at AWHONN, Lamaze International, International Childbirth Education Association, DONA International, MANA Regional and the American College of Nurse Midwives Conferences.
- One-day Lamaze workshop for Midwives and Midwifery Students as a step toward Lamaze Certification.
Birth Doula Workshops:
- Birth Doula Workshop Information: For anyone interested in becoming a doula, I suggest a visit to the DONA International web site at www.dona.org.
- Sites: I offer DONA International Approved Birth Doula Workshops on a regular basis in the Raleigh and Topsail Beach, NC areas. I will be happy to provide trainings in other areas where there is a need.
- Fees: Training fees range from $500 - $700 depending upon the sponsoring organization. Sometimes the fees include meals.
- Prerequisites: These must be met prior to the training:
- Complete as much of the DONA Birth Doula Reading List as possible. Review the certification process and the reading list here:
- This workshop assumes a basic knowledge of pregnancy and childbirth either as a childbirth educator, nurse with labor and delivery experience, or through midwifery. If you do not have this background, you must audit a childbirth class series* (not as a pregnant woman) taught by a nationally certified instructor before this workshop. Or you can attend an Introduction to Childbirth For Doulas day taught by a DONA International Approved Birth Doula Trainer.
- Length of the workshop: The training is 16-20 hours of intense education. The number of participants is limited to allow for the personalized attention of the trainer. Participants will learn through discussion, lecture, slides, videos, group work, demonstrations, skits, and role plays.
- Workshop Topics: Significance of Birth, Supporting the Woman During Labor, Prenatal and Postpartum Contact, Challenging Births, Cesarean and VBAC, Medications and the Role of the Doula, Initial Breastfeeding, DONA International Certification, Establishing a Business.
- Certification: This training provides one step toward certification with DONA International. You can learn about the other certification requirements on the DONA web page at dona.org.